A journey of resilience- an interview with Anita Cortez


A few days ago we interviewed Anita Cortez, artisan and founder of Atitlan Women Weavers Cooperative, our artisan partner from Guatemala. Anita is Mayan and was born and raised in San Pedro de la Laguna- Lake Atitlan. In 2014, she founded a cooperative of women artisans to help preserve traditional crafts as well as to provide a new source of income for women in her community. She started the cooperative with only 5 women and in the past 4 years it has grown to a team of 25 women, the majority of whom are single mothers. Anita supports her family working at the cooperative and as a part-time tour guide. She also runs a business offering cooking classes for tourists.

Anita Cortez- artisan and entrepreneur

We asked Anita to share her story and her advice to young women interested in starting their own businesses.

TWC: What inspired you to create your cooperative?
Anita: The project was inspired by my own personal situation as a single mother, this situation led me to search for opportunities to help support my family. I am where I am now thanks to taking the chance on these opportunities and I’m now happy to pay it forward to help other women in my community

Artisan/ member of the cooperative
Artisan/ member of the cooperative



TWC: How are your products a reflection of your culture?
Anita: Our culture is everywhere, it’s in our blood and it is reflected in all of our products. As Mayans we show appreciation to God for our lives, every single detail in our products has a unique story and this makes our work even more special around the world. For example, the natural dyes we use in our products represent and honor Mother Nature.


Natural dyes used for products

Natural dyes used for products

Cotton scarf made by artisans from the cooperative
Hand-embroidered leather clutch made by artisans from the cooperative

Hand-embroidered backpack made by artisans from the cooperative
TWC: What are some of the challenges you’ve faced in your journey as an entrepreneur?

Anita: As far as challenges, I would say “machismo” is one of the biggest ones. We are discriminated against for being indigenous women. We are not given the same opportunities to thrive and if we do, we have to face many obstacles to succeed.

TWC: What is your advice for younger women?
Anita: My advice to women is to keep dreaming, work hard to realize your dreams, don’t let them be just dreams.  Let’s search for opportunities together, knock on doors, even if they say no, we have to be persistent, I can assure you that with a good attitude we can go far. Let’s keep dreaming big!

Artisan/ member of the cooperative
TWC: Why is it important to preserve traditions?

Anita: I’m interested in preserving my traditions because they remind me of where I’m from. They represent my blood and where I was born.

You can shop products from Anita's cooperative on our website at www.theworldscorner.com
If you are planning a visit to Lake Atitlan, make sure to check out Anita's cooking classes and tours https://www.mayankitchencookingclass.com/

Comments

Popular Posts